Monday, November 14, 2011

Fresh Cranberry Muffins

Last year I did Bountiful Baskets all the time!  I haven't done it in a while, due to the time slots filling up too fast or being too early of a pick-up time.  But, this reminds me, I should sign up today so I can stock up on all the fresh fruits and veggies for Thanksgiving next week!  Anyways, last year I got a bag of fresh cranberries, I've never made anything w/ cranberries before, so I thought I'd search for something to make w/ them.  I came up w/ making these yummy Fresh Cranberry Muffins.  I probably won't go out and buy cranberries just for this reason, but if you have some and want a good recipe to use them in, then here's one to try!

I also served them w/ my Pumpkin Bread.


Fresh Cranberry Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.  Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in cranberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, butter, rind, vanilla, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pan immediately; place on a wire rack.  Enjoy!

**Note: These muffins freeze well. Bake them ahead, cool completely, and store in freezer bags. To serve, thaw at room temperature. Reheat in aluminum foil at 300º for 10 to 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

No comments: