Friday, October 7, 2011

Buttermilk Banana Bread

A few weeks ago I had a girls craft night out and decided I needed to provide something yummy to munch on.  I had some bananas going bad, so I decided to make this very moist, Buttermilk Banana Bread recipe.  It tasted great, but was a little more moist than I thought it was going to be, which doesn't sound bad, right?  I just had a hard time figuring out if it was done baking or not.  I ended up baking it an extra 10 minutes or so, and still didn't get my toothpick to come out clean, but I think that's mostly b/c I increased the bananas and decreased the sugar, you know, to make it a bit more healthy, haha.  But it ended up tasting great!  I think next time I'll try the normal amount of bananas and sugar.

Looks good right.


Cream butter and sugar together.

Mix in eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.

Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and soda.

Pour into greased large loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, I ended up baking for an extra 10 minutes.

Comes out so golden and so very moist.  Tastes great!

Buttermilk Banana Bread


Ingredients:

*Makes 1 large loaf

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (I use about 3 average sized bananas)
4 tablespoons buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

Grease and flour 1 large loaf pan (9 1/4 X 5 1/4-inch) or whatever combination of pans you’d like (apparently this recipe works great made into muffins or smaller loaf pans). In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla until the batter is well mixed. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Mix until well combined. Divide batter into greased and floured bread pans and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Enjoy!

*Note: I decreased the sugar to 1 cup,  and increased the bananas to 1 1/2 cups.


4 comments:

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

I'm a new follower over from Craptastic. I can't stand cooking, but have three little girls and a hungry husband to feed, so your mom-friendly recipes look perfect! Can't watit to try the crock pot chicken parm. Yum!

Brittany said...

I'm so happy to have you come over! Cooking is hard to fit in such a busy schedule, I know! So, I love to find easy, quick, but yummy recipes...and I love sharing them! If you try the ck parm let me know! I hope you do like it, and anything else you decide to try. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Anonymous said...

My husband loves babana bread, so I will try this one. Here is the one I normally make and he loves it! I dispise bananas but like to have a spoonful of the batter before I add them! I am trying to tweak this recipe with some chocolate chips or something instead, I will let you know how it turns out!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/487127/

Brittany said...

Rachel, thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it! I love banana bread, and I especially love it w/ chocolate chips. I should put that on the recipe that you can add those in. I can't believe you con't like bananas! You could always try zucchini :) I would love it if you let me know how yours turns out.