Thursday, December 1, 2011

Day 1 - Creamy Potato Soup

We are going to start out our 25 Days of Recipes with, who better than, my good friend Annie.  We met just under 2 years ago when she moved in down the street, and we pretty much hit it off right away.  Annie is one of those girls who can do anything, and I mean ANYTHING!  She cuts hair (in fact, she cuts and colors mine), she's a great photographer!  Just, check out her work here, seriously they're all amazing pictures, hire her!  Let's see, she makes jewelry, refinishes furniture (she guided me in any of the furniture listed under my Crafts/Projects tab), she has great style, she's a mom and a wonderful cook!  I'm sure I missed some, but you get the jest of it right?  She's amazing!  Sorry Annie, I know that I repeated some of your intro, but I just couldn't help myself!

Take it Away Annie:

My name is Annie and I LOVE creamy soups. I cheer when the first snow fall comes because that means I get to start adding soups to our weekly meals. I am a mom, a hair stylist, and a photographer (www.v-photography.com). Life can get pretty hectic. The thing I like most about this recipe is that it is quick. You can bake your potatoes  in advance (days, even) and the rest of it can be whipped up fast. It is a staple in our home for sure. Enjoy!



Creamy Potato Soup

2/3 C butter
2/3 C flour (up to 1 Cup)
7 C warm milk
4 large potatoes baked, skinned, and cubed
4 green onions sliced (optional...I have never used them)
crumbled bacon
1 1/4 C sharp cheddar
1 C sour cream
3 t salt
2 t pepper

Warm milk in medium pot.
In large pot, melt butter until bubbly
Add flour until well mixed
Add milk slowly, until a roux, stir constantly til thickened (add extra flour if needed).
Add potatoes and onions( if using), bring to boil, stir constantly.
Reduce heat, simmer for 10 min.
Add sour cream, salt, and pepper.
Put bacon and cheese on side and allow people to put their own in soup.
Serve in bread bowls ( I get the Rhodes loafs and make 2-3 bread bowls out of each loaf. It is DELICIOUS this way) .

Thanks Annie!!  And Enjoy!

2 comments:

Linzy said...

Oh Annie, how I love this soup! Thanks for sharing! Great Idea Britt!

Amy Piller said...

This is one I will for sure be trying!