Thursday, July 26, 2012

Southern Style Strawberry Shortcake

Have you ever heard of eating strawberry shortcake w/ a biscuit?  Well I remember the first time I heard of it, I thought it was so weird!  And of course had to taste awful.  It was when I worked at Steak 'n Shake and they served this as one of their desserts.  I put off trying it for the longest time until one of my managers talked me into trying it.  All of a sudden my world was turned upside down, what?!?  How could a biscuit taste so good w/ ice cream and strawberries?!  Well, whatever the answer is, just believe me, it's pretty amazing!  A few years ago I decided to go ahead and come up w/ my own version of Southern Style Strawberry Shortcake, and this is what I came up w/.  Go ahead and give it a try.  It's a very simple, quick dessert.



Slice strawberries.

Mix all strawberries w/ sugar and vanilla. The sugar pulls out the natural juices of the strawberries.  Let sit in refrigerator until the juices have formed.

Top biscuits w/ a scoop of vanilla ice cream, strawberries and whipped cream.  Serve right away.

Southern Style Strawberry Shortcake

Ingredients

8 oz Fresh Strawberries
1 1/2 - 2 T Sugar
1 T Vanilla
6 Frozen Pillsbury Grands Southern Style Biscuits
Vanilla Ice Cream
Whipped Cream

Slice all strawberries in 4ths or 5ths lengthwise and mix with sugar and vanilla.  Cover and refrigerate for 30 min- 1 hr until all the natural juices all pulled out.  While waiting go ahead and cook biscuits according to package directions.  Serve warm biscuits topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, strawberries (including juices) and whipped cream.  Serve right away.  Enjoy!



No comments: