Monday, February 27, 2012

Lettuce Wraps

I've had this recipe for so long that I can't even remember where it came from.  Please do NOT be afraid of the list of ingredients (it's mostly all for the sauce).  This is actually really easy to make, it's a little expensive to make at first b/c you probably don't have some of the main ingredients, but invest in it and I promise, you'll use these ingredients in a lot of other dishes, and they last a long time so you can continue to use them when you make this recipe again.  This is so good and so healthy!  Great to eat on a diet, or really, just anytime.


All the ingredients.  Hoisin sauce and sesame oil can be found in the oriental section of the grocery store. 

Saute ground chicken (or turkey), chopped peppers and onions.  (In the past when I didn't have ground chicken on hand I placed a few thawed chicken breasts in my food processor and there ya go, fresh ground chicken!) 

In a bowl, blend lemon juice, hoisin sauce, sugar, oil, soy sauce and pepper sauce.  

Pour into pan; stir to coat chicken/turkey. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring until sauce is absorbed, about 4 minutes. Stir in cilantro. 

Serve in lettuce cups.  I have used iceberg and Romain lettuce, I like both.  I also like to serve with rice b/c it's more filling and the meat goes further.

Lettuce Wraps

1 lb. ground chicken or turkey (I have always used ground chicken and it is fabulous!)
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 T finely chopped fresh ginger
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c hoisin sauce (found in the Asian aisle)
1 T & 1 t brown sugar, packed
1 T sesame oil
2 t. soy sauce
5 - 10 drops red pepper sauce (something like Tabasco)
1/4 c cilantro, chopped
1 head iceberg lettuce, separated into lettuce cups (or a large Romain Lettuce)

In a large skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute chicken/turkey, bell pepper, onion, garlic and ginger over medium heat until no longer pink. In a bowl, blend lemon juice, hoisin sauce, sugar, oil, soy sauce and pepper sauce.  Pour into pan; stir to coat chicken/turkey.  Reduce heat and simmer, stirring until sauce is absorbed, about 4 minutes.  Stir in cilantro.  Serve with lettuce cups. (optional, rice)  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Looks yummy! I need more healthy recipes! Ill let you know when I try it. Is it spciy? Like would kids eat it?

Brittany said...

Yes, let me know when you make them. And no, they're not really spicy, definatly safe for kids.

Chad & Bonny Day said...

I made these tonight and my whole family liked them! Even my 6 and 4 year olds. They gobbled them up. I'm not a big fan of the taste of sesame oil and the taste of it seemed to be a bit prominent in this recipe, next time i'll put in less! I made the fried rice as well and we put some rice on our wraps as well, it was so yummy!