Monday, July 11, 2011

Poppy Seed Chicken

I've got to be honest I use to use cream of mushroom and chicken in my first few years of marriage like there was no tomorrow.  So much so, that my husband has told me to never use the stuff again.  I've got to explain myself though.  I use to go grocery shopping for the same stuff every time.  Whenever we ran out of something I would buy more.  I would then make dishes to match what I had in my pantry, I hardly ever tried new recipes.  Since being a stay-at-home-mom, I have tried to change my ways and branch out.  So, by making meal calendars this has helped out big time w/ not making the same ol' dishes.  But back to my earlier story, I went ahead and ignored his wishes last week and tried this recipe that asks for cream of chicken.  My sister, Bonny, reminded me of how our good friend, Janel, use to make this all the time in collage (honestly I still can't remember that well), so I decided to try it.  This is such an easy quick recipe and uses ingredients probably everyone has already in their pantries.  This is definitely a quick meal to throw together.  I rate this a 3.5.

Mix cubed chicken, sour cream, soup and melted butter together.


Crush up crackers, and mix melted butter and poppy seeds until well coated.

Coat the bottom of the pan w/ 1/2 the cracker mixture topped off w/ chicken mixture and then covered w/ the remaining crackers.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

Serve over rice.

Poppy Seed Chicken


Ingredients:

3 Chicken Breasts, cooked & cubed
16 oz Sour Cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup melted butter

Mix chicken, sour cream, chicken soup and melted butter together.  Set aside while you prepare cracker mixture.

52 Ritz or soda crackers
1/2 c butter, melted
1 T poppy seeds

Crush crackers.  Mix melted butter and poppy seeds with cracker crumbs until coated well.  In a 9 x 13 baking dish, press 1/2 the cracker mixture onto the bottom.  Cover with chicken mixture.  Use remaining cracker mixture on top.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Serve over rice.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Janel said...

I totally forgot about this recipe. I don't think I've made it since college. But I do remember liking this! I am glad you posted the recipe so now I can make it again!

Photography by Val said...

I made this tonight after seeing you on Good Things Utah today. It was fantastic! Thanks for the recipe!