Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Taco Soup (Crock Pot)

Since I finished all my house work earlier than planned (I had a lot that I neglected yesterday), I decided I would post a recipe that I made last night (or maybe I should say Monday, last night we had the leftovers!).  This one was given to me by one of my friends growing up when we were roommates in college, Holly that's you!  So, I have actually been making this one for quite a while.  She calls it Santa Fe Soup, but I just call it Taco Soup.  It's so good, and soooo easy!  This is probably one of the easiest recipes ever.  The hardest part of it is that you have to brown some ground beef (real hard right ;).  I rate this recipe a 5.



After a few hours of simmering in the crock pot.

Now it just needs some toppings, like cheese, Fritos, sour cream and green onions (which I forgot to do this time).


Taco Soup

Ingredients:
* 2 lbs browned ground beef (You are more than welcome to do less, I just think this amount makes it so good!)
* 2 packages ranch dressing mix
* 2 packages taco seasoning (or 1/2 cup)
* 1 can tomatoes and green chilies (10 or 12 oz)
* 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
* 1 can black beans
*1 can kidney beans
*1 can pinto beans
*1 can shoepeg corn

Mix all ingredients in crock pot (do not drain any of the cans, add all liquids).  The longer it simmers the better it is!  If I know I have less than 3 hours until dinner then I'll throw it all together and cook it on high.  Otherwise just simmer on low for as long as you want!  Then top it off w/ cheese, Fritos, sour cream and green onions (you are welcome to add whatever else you think might be good).  Easy right?!  And so good.  Enjoy!!

***Update, I didn't mention this, but have been reminded, you can cook this recipe in a big pot on the stove.  I always use the crock pot b/c it's so simple.  But, if you were to use the stove, just throw it all together, like explained above.  Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for as long as you like, probably at least 20 minutes.  Good either way!

3 comments:

Chad & Bonny Day said...

I made this the other day and I didn't use a crockpot, I just put it in a big ole pot and brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for 20-30 mins or so..yummy!

Gennaveeve said...

I have never EVER used and crock pot and now I want to use it ALL the time! This soup was AMAZING!!! It's pretty good by itself but when you mix in the cheese, fritos and sour cream HOLY COW!!! My husband couldn't get enough! I didn't have a very big crock pot so instead of using all the tomatoes I just used the 1 can of diced and 1 can of tomatoes and green chilies. Thank you for converting me to the crock pot!

Brittany said...

I can't believe you have never ever used a crock pot!! Well stay tuned b/c I have several crock pot dishes I'll be sharing. And I'm so glad ya'll liked the soup, it is so good huh? This is one of Cameron's favorites! Oh and good job changing up the recipe to fit your needs!