Sunday, August 18, 2013

Fresh Cilantro, Lime, Fish Tacos


Who likes fish tacos?  I know the first time I ever heard of them I thought they were the weirdest thing!  But, I tried them, and you know what?  I thought they were great!  But, I've never had them where the fish wasn't fried.  You know what? This is the first time I've ever made fish tacos, and you know what?  The fish isn't fried!  Much healthier right?  And very, very tasty!  Like seriously, not a fishy taste at all, just freshness all around.  I loved it!  My husband and kids gave me a hard time when I tole them I was making fish tacos, I told them not to judge it before tasting.  You know what?  They all loved them!  My middle boy thought it was made with chicken!  Anyways, this is a must try, way easy and super fresh and yummy!  All credit has to go to my good friend Janel though, thanks for the recipe!


Marinate chicken for 20-30 minutes.

Mix all ingredients for the fresh cilantro sauce and chill.

I broiled my fish for about 5 minutes on both sides...

and shredded.

Serve with toppings, so yummy!

Fish Tacos

4-6 pieces of Tilapia

Marinade

2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley (I hear dried works great too)
1 juice of a lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup red wine vinegar 
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 dashes Tabasco sauce 

Mix all ingredients together and pour over fish in a large Ziploc bag.  Marinate for 20-30 minute then grill on high for about 3-5 min each side or place in your oven to broil for about 5 minutes on both sides, until flaky.  Shred and place in a bowl. 

Cilantro Sauce...
this is what makes these so darn good:

1/4 cup mayonnaise
11/2 T lime juice
2 T of chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic minced 
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon water

While fish is marinating, mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until tacos are ready.  (You may add more garlic, lime, cumin, and cilantro according to taste.)

Corn Tortillas

While fish is cooking drizzle olive oil on a griddle or frying pan, sprinkle salt and fry corn tortillas on either side. Melt cheese and fold.  Place shredded fish, sliced avocado's, drizzle cilantro sauce and fresh salsa (optional) in tortilla and serve w/ lime wedges.  Enjoy!!

Update: There is more than enough marinade for another batch of fish tacos.  After taking the fish out and cooking, leave the remaining marinade in the large baggy and freeze until you're ready to make the tacos again.  When you're ready, defrost and place another batch of fish in the same large baggy.

No comments: