Thursday, November 21, 2013

Heavy White Cake Cupcakes

Seriously, these cupcakes are amazing! I had them a probably a couple years ago when my friend made them for a Young Women's event at church.  I thought they were the most amazing homemade cupcake I'd ever had! I figured it was high time I made them for myself. So, what better time than for my baby's 1st birthday?! A bonus to these cupcakes too, are they're jumbo sized! They're also called "Heavy" for a reason, they're not your typical light and airy cupcakes, they're very dense and heavy.  They pair up perfectly with vanilla buttercream frosting, yum! Thanks Emily for sharing your recipe!  You're one amazing person!


I don't know if you can tell how big these things are, but maybe compare them to the size of the ice cream cup? A normal cupcake might be closer to the size of the ice cream.  Get the picture now?



They were a huge hit at my baby's birthday party!  Can you see how the lower half the cupcake is darker than the top? That's where it sat inside the cupcake tins, it's lighter where it sat out of the tin.  That's just another example to show how much bigger they are than regular cupcakes.

Heavy White Cake Cupcakes

Makes 1 Dozen

3 Cups Flour
1 1/3 C Sugar
1 1/4 C Whole Milk
1/2 C Shortening
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Liquid Eggs*

12 Jumbo sized Cupcake Liners

Mix all ingredients together.  Beat on high for 5 minutes (set a timer).  Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full (using either an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop).  Bake at 350 for 18-25 minutes, until lightly golden and sponge like on top.  If you over bake they will get really dry.  Top with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.  Enjoy!

*That's right, Liquid Eggs.  I was too scared to try regular eggs, I didn't want to mess with perfection.  My friend has only used liquid eggs.  If you try out regular eggs, let me know! Apparently 1/2 cup = 2 large eggs.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

1/2 c Butter (1 stick), room temperature
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
3-4 T milk or cream
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla

Place butter in a large mixing bowl.  Beat until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds.  Stop mixer before adding sugar to avoid a large mess.

Add sugar and 3 T. milk or cream and Vanilla.  Beat frosting starting on low, increasing your speed until frosting is nice and creamy.  Add up to 1 more T. of milk or cream if frosting is too thick.  Enjoy!!


Recipe Source: From the kitchen of Emily Pennock

No comments: