Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 3 - Turbocharged Biscuits and Gravy

Welcome to Day 3 of 25 Days of Recipes!  Today I am excited to welcome Lindsay to my blog.  We grew up in the same town in Tennessee, but I haven't seen her in years.  We've kind of reconnected through having our cooking blogs.  I love having  those kind of connections w/ others!  I've actually shared a couple of her recipes so far, do you remember Peanut Butter Banana Muffins or her Crusty Onion Pork Chops, yeah, both were her own creations.   She's an amazing cook, one of those that comes up w/ her own original recipes, I only wish I could do that!

Take it Aways Lindsay:



Hi y’all! My name is Lindsay from Seriously So Delicious. I LOVE to cook; it makes me so happy. I love combining flavors or making dishes from what I already have in my pantry…just to see what I can come up with. I also love trying recipes I find on Pinterest and cooking blogs. Love it!!!

I grew up in Tennessee so I have a love of all (read: most) things southern. (I do not like grits or chitlins, though…lol.) However, I do love homemade biscuits and gravy. They. Are. My. Weakness. But, I used to stray away from making them because I knew I’d be working in the kitchen for hours. That was true until I found the answer to making them in practically no time at all.

 Here is my secret for making homemade, southern-style biscuits with a turbocharged twist. Are you ready? It is super simple!

Turbocharged Biscuits and Gravy


I start with a pre-made biscuit mix (I know, cheater cheater pumpkin eater), and then I add mild sausage, grated cheese, garlic, and a secret...


Here is what you need:
  • 2 batches biscuit mix (I use Bisquick Heart Smart) (1 cup milk is required)
  • 16 oz. uncooked sausage (I use Jimmy Dean Mild Sausage)
  • 2 cups grated cheese (I use pre-grated)
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • Secret: 1/2 cup cold butter cubes
Here is what you do:
  • Measure the biscuit mix for 2 batches of biscuits (its 3 cups of the mix)
  • Add half of the mix into a food processor and add 1/4 cup of the butter cubes; pulse until incorporated; repeat with other half of mix and butter
  • Follow the box recipe for DROP biscuits and mix the biscuit dough with the milk as instructed on the box.(since you're doubling the recipe, you need 1 cup fat free skim milk)
  • Next, add the uncooked sausage, cheese, and garlic then mix until incorporated.
  • Drop a spoonful of dough onto an UNGREASED cookie sheet and bake according to package instructions.(it took me more than the time shown on the box...it took 13 minutes)
See? Super simple!

Now for the best part—homemade gravy that tastes like grandma made it! Have you ever heard of Magic Mix? Magic mix is a white sauce base, but it is in the form of a glorious powdery mix that you just add water to when you're ready to use it. Plus, it only takes 3 minutes...seriously!

When the biscuits are almost finished baking, I make a batch of the magic mix and add a dash of salt & pepper. Then, I pour the gravy over my hot, fresh sausage cheese drop biscuits, and I am in heaven.

Delish and effortless!

Thanks Lindsay!  Enjoy!

No comments: