Saturday, April 6, 2013

Gooey Caramel Brownies

I haven't had these delicious, gooey caramel brownies in years.  During my first Summer semester at good ol' BYU-Idaho, one of my old college roommates, Rachelle, used to make these all the time.  I just remember not being able to get enough of them, I thought they were some of the most delicious things I've ever eaten at the time!  So, when I saw she posted something about these on Facebook a while back, I was brought back to that wonderful Summer and just had to contact her to get the recipe for myself.  She was quick to reply and get me the recipe, I was not so quick to make them though.  Oddly enough, this was just over a year ago, crazy!!  Anyways, I finally made them last night, and they did not cease to impress. I honestly like them even better the next day though.  And notice the two brownies pictured below?  Well, those are the only two brownies left by the time I remembered to take a picture.  Thanks Rachelle for sharing your yummy brownie recipe w/ us :)


Look at all that caramel oozing out!  So good!


1. Layer half the brownie batter at the bottom of the pan and bake for 6 minutes.

2. Top w/ 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and...

(notice my little helpers hand?) after mixing together and melting caramel bits evaporated milk...

3. pour on top of chocolate chips

 4. take the rest of the batter and flatten out and place on top of caramel.

Bake for another 12-15 minutes and let cool.

Serve warm or completely cooled off.  Either way, delish!

Gooey Caramel Brownies

Ingredients:
  • 48 caramels
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk (divided in 1/2) 
  • 1 package of German chocolate cake mix
  • 3/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt together 1/3 cup of the evaporate milk and the caramels on med low heat, stir occasionally  While melting, mix together the cake mix, the remaining evaporated milk, and the butter. Divide this mixture in 1/2 and put one portion of it in a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with the nuts, if using, and bake for 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and add the chocolate chips. Drizzle the caramel mixture over the chocolate, being careful that the caramel doesn't touch the sides of the pan. Spoon the remaining batter over the top evenly, and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes. Let cool and serve. Don't forget, leftovers are even better!  Enjoy!

No comments: