Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 21 - Grandma's Snowball Cookies

Welcome to Day 21 of 25 Days of Recipes (I know I'm posting a little late today, sorry).  I am so excited to introduce you to Lara, from Recipe Shoebox.  I believe her's was the first cooking blog I ever started following.  If you notice too, I got the idea of step by step pictures from her as well, b/c I loved it so much!  I really don't know how she does it all!  She has 5 kids and still manages to make amazing meals and keep up w/ her blog.  She has great family friendly recipes, check it out!

Take it Away Lara:

Hi, my name is Lara, but most people just call me "Adam's mom." Or some variation on that with one of my kids' names.

You see, I have five kids, ages 6-16, and my life is filled with kid stuff. I wake up at 5:00 each morning and don't stop running until all the kids are bed, which last night was well after midnight for my 9-year-old with a book report due today. Despite the constant craziness (and joy) that being a mom brings though, I am someone who thrives on having a creative outlet, which for the past several years has been cooking and blogging at www.recipeshoebox.blogspot.com! I love trying out new recipes. I love tweaking old recipes. Mostly, I just love to cook. The recipe I'm sharing today is one of the most-loved recipes in my collection. My mother-in-law shared it with me back when my husband and I were first married and I've been making them ever since. My husband has always called them "Snowball Cookies", but my sister insists that they're called, "Russian Tea Cakes". A friend calls them, "Danish Wedding Cookies". Whatever they're called, I love the buttery melt-in-your-mouth texture and I love how simple they are to make. Enjoy!

Grandma's Snowball Cookies
Click here for printable recipe. 



Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:


The ingredients:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)

Directions: 
Cream together butter and powdered sugar.

 


Add flour, vanilla, and pecans until well mixed.

               
Keep mixing....              Now it's ready!
NOTE:  This will be a very stiff dough and if you're using an electric mixer, just mix it until the dough is about the size of peas. Use your hands to form it into a ball, wrap in plastic, then chill for about an hour.
Roll into balls the size of small walnuts. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 325° (no hotter).

You may want to turn the cookie sheet the last 5 minutes of baking to ensure even browning. When cooled, roll each cookie into powdered sugar. Makes about 40 small cookies.

Enjoy!

 Thanks Lara!

No comments: