Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 13: Breakfast Casserole

Welcome to day 13 of 25 Days of Recipes! I'm excited to introduce to you our guest for today :)  I first found/heard of Linday and her hubby on Good Things Utah (a local morning talk show).  They're that good that they were on TV!!  They shared a delicious recipe for a Banana Split Cake, and yes, I tried it out and it was so good!  I've followed their cooking blog ever since.  Aren't they a gorgeous family?

Take it Away Lindsay:

Hi, I am Lindsay from Our Family Treat (www.cucinafamiglia.com). Our blog is a fun little hobby that my husband and I do together.
We are all about traditions in our family. Especially during the holidays. It creates memories that will last a lifetime. One of our favorite traditions comes from my husband's family. It is a breakfast casserole that we eat every Christmas. I will be the first to admit, I am not normally a "breakfast casserole kind of girl" because so often the bread is soggy...which I am not a fan of. But this recipe is great. No soggy bread here. Plus it is super filling, so you can eat this after opening all your gifts...and then won't be hungry until dinner!



Breakfast Casserole


Ingredients:
12 slices of bread
8 oz of grated cheese
1/2 pound of your favorite meat (sausage, diced ham)
Veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms)
8-10 Eggs
Salt and Pepper
Butter


Directions: Butter all slices of bread. Place 6 slices of bread, buttered side down in a sprayed 9 x 13 pan. Then top with grated cheese, meat and veggies. Then place the other 6 slices of bread, buttered side up on the top. Beat 8-10 eggs in a bowl, with salt and pepper. Pour the eggs over the whole casserole...make sure to get all the bread covered with eggs. Cover the pan in foil and refrigerate over night. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours (30 of which is without the foil).

Tip: We make two different kids...one with cheddar cheese, ham and sometimes we add onions. And then on the other one we use pepper jack cheese, breakfast sausage and peppers. Feel free to experiment!

 
Thanks Lindsay!  Enjoy!

Note: My sister said that her bread was burnt at the bottom.  So she suggested checking it after an hour of cooking (when you're taking the foil off) and then baking it for another 10 minutes or so.

No comments: