Thursday, July 28, 2011

Momma's Baked Beans

I grew up with my momma making these baked beans.  And now when I make them for ppl I get compliments every time.  And as I am, they're always surprised to hear that it's not completely homemade!  But, why the hassle of making completely home cooked beans if no one can tell the difference anyways?  They're so easy, and sooo dang good!  Don't be scared away that you have to use a can of Pork and Beans, trust me, they're great!  It's just another thing I have to remind me of home :)  It was really hard to come up w/ a written recipe because she throws everything in until it looks/tastes good. So, these measurements are approximates.


All you need + water.  For some reason my mom likes the taste of the Van Camp Pork and Beans the best (I've never compared, I just do as Momma says ; ).  I sent my husband to the store to buy them and he came back w/ Bush's Baked Beans.  They turned out good, I just didn't "doctor" them up as much b/c they already have most of the flavors I add in them already.  But, trust me just try the pork and beans!

Mix all ingredients together and top off w/ bacon.

Bake at 425 for 30-45 minutes.  Let sit for an hour and take the bacon out.  I forgot to take an after picture, but hopefully you get the idea. Serve as a side to anything grilled.  Yum!

Momma's Baked Beans


Ingredients:

28 oz Van Camp Pork and Beans (or 2 small cans)
1 c Brown Sugar
1/4 c Ketchup
1/4 c Mustard
2-3 shakes of Worcestershire Sauce
1 c Water
4-5 slices of Bacon

Preheat oven to 425.  Stir all ingredients through Worcestershire Sauce together.  Taste, it should be extra sweet, add extra ingredients to taste.  Mix in water and top off w/ bacon.  Bake 30-45 minutes until bubbly and bacon is browning.  Cover and let it sit out at room temperature to thicken and cool for an hour.  Take out bacon and serve.  Enjoy!


No comments: