Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spanish Rice

So, as promised, here's the SpanishRice Recipe. I used to always just make the boxed Spanish rice, but one day I realized I was all out! So, I decided to look up a recipe online to see if there was any way possible to make it homemade, guess what, there is!!! I searched several recipes until I came across this one, which I just so happened to have everything needed! I'm sure you'll find you do most of the time too. It's good on it's own, but I actually like to take a little bit of rice and mix it with refried beans for every bite. Oh, it makes a ton! You'll definitely have leftovers. I rate this recipe a 4.
Saute rice, onion, and bell pepper.
All put together, ready to be covered and simmer.

All done!!

Yummy!
Spanish Rice

Ingredients:

2 T vegetable oil (I use Olive Oil)
1 c. uncooked white rice
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (I use whatever color pepper I have, or that's cheapest)
2 c. water
1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies
2 t. chili powder, or to taste
1 t. salt
1. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, and bell pepper until rice is browned and onions are tender.               
2. Stir in water and tomatoes. Season with chili powder and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.